Stock Photos
Stock Photos

New Blackmagic Design URSA Looks Awesome

I am not a filmmaker but I have started producing stock video along with my photography and I get excited just as much about video recording device technology as I do with photography technology. Having said that, upon seeing the new Blackmagic URSA camera and specs, I think I drooled a little on my desk. No worries, I quickly wiped it up.

For a big video camera, it even looks slightly sexy to me. I would love to be able to own and play with one but unless some big video project comes my way in near future, I don't see it happening. It does seem reasonably priced considering the features and target market but still out of my reach.

So what stuck out on the camera to me personally? I believe it was first the 4.6K option. Not the best resolution out there but still good. Then I noticed it claims 15-stops of dynamic range! Now we are talking. That is getting into the Epic Red realm of capturing light.

I also noticed is has a global shutter. After realizing this is the solution for all those jello like videos on the internet that just look awful, I am in awe of any digital video camera that has this option. If you are capturing video in a stationary position, it is not a big issue but any time the camera takes on movement, the jello video usually becomes more apparent.

If you would like to see more features and specs on this wonderful beast, you can find them here.

There are several versions to choose from in different price ranges to meet different needs. One of the versions I find most interesting can be purchased here.
Previous
Next Post »